Sunday 12 October 2014





Managing Up to Benefit Your Career

Starting a new job is always exciting but also very challenging. I have recently started a new role with a very successful company and am excited to start a meaningful career. As an Admin Assistant, my ability to work well with others can mean the difference in whether my career advances or becomes stagnant.

With a new role comes new challenges and the first challenge has been a big one. In my last role, my relationship with my boss was strong as we both had similar work styles and communicated effectively. I wish this was the case with my new boss, I am now learning that a lot of effort will need to go into this relationship to ensure that we are harmonious and productive.

My first task has been to learn and identify his role within the organization. Based on some advice I found in the below links here is the outline one can take to learning about their boss`s role:


Who reports to your boss – this will give you a better sense of how much time they can give you and how independent you should be.

What are their goals – these soon become your goals as you take on tasks to help accomplish them

Who do they report to – it is important to know who these people are so that you can identify how important these reports are and understand the pressures your boss may be experiencing.

Their experience – knowing their past will help outline their strengths and weaknesses which will allow you to better assist them and become a productive duo.  

Communication is key in the beginning of a new dynamic. Discussions of communication preferences can be awkward at first but are vital in the long term success of your relationship. It is also a good opportunity for you to take the time to identify what your preferences are and which avenues you are good at. Does your boss want to be aware of all routine office matters, or do they want to be consulted if issues arise?

Russel Matters
This is my next obstacle to overcome with my boss in that we have yet to have time to sit down and discuss our communication styles. I know that I take more of a direct approach than my boss in that I like clear defined goals and assigned tasks. I would prefer an email about what our goals are and who is accountable for each task. My boss tends to enjoy talking about the goals but lacks the delegation of them.

Understand your manager’s management style and learn to work with them – Deadlines can provide insight into your boss’s management style. Your manager may not value time management the same way you do in that they could be more of a last minute type of person. If there is a deadline approaching, you could be feeling the pressure whereas your boss may not feel the need to address the report until the day before. It is important to anticipate and plan for how your boss will deal with deadlines. This will allow you to work with them and feel less pressure when last minute changes are made because you planned and adapted to their style.
As my relationship with my boss evolves I need to keep in mind that his productivity and success directly relate to mine. If he isn’t producing reports and meeting deadlines then that affects me and my work. I need to learn as much as I can about him to ensure that I provide the right assistance so that we both can be successful. My determination and drive to succeed will continue to fuel the need to understand my boss as I want my role to develop into an extremely rewarding career.


Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment