Sunday 12 October 2014



Your IQ isn't the only thing that is important to your employer.

Emotional Intelligence (EI) has become a well-known topic discussed by many individuals and their employers.  EI can be argued to be just as important as someone’s IQ in that it helps create a well-rounded individual who is more emotionally stable. Just as some of us are born with higher IQ’s than others, some people have more dominant EI’s than others. As outlined by Psychology experts, Emotional Intelligence refers to the ability to perceive, control and evaluate emotions.
Tamilyouth


Can we develop our EI’s?

As more employers see value in higher EI’s the debate has been sparked - Can we learn to develop our EI’s? 

Some researchers argue that you can learn emotional intelligence, while others claim that it is an inborn characteristic. 

My family has always spoken of how important emotional intelligence is. As  I establish myself in the workplace and gain more knowledge of the world around me, I am starting to understand that it involves both IQ and EI to create a well-rounded individual. 

To continue to develop my EI, I have started a journal that captures my emotions as I deal with new work place challenges. I had previously read about keeping a feelings diary a couple months ago and decided to try it out.


The purpose of the journal is to write down my emotions as different scenarios arise at work as well as in my personal life. Stress can trigger negative emotional reactions and can therefore cause someone to act differently than they would in a less stressful situation. My hope is that I can start to recognize patterns in my reactions based on how I am feeling in those moments or prior in the day. My goal is to be able to be more aware of how I am feeling so that I can anticipate my decisions and be able to compare them to how I would normally react. I want to learn to be more consistent in my reactions and decisions as I feel that consistency is a gateway to success.


In my findings thus far, I have found that it takes a lot of energy to fully access situations when dealing with stress. When stressed, I feel that I do not have time to hear all of the information and must quickly provide a solution. This can often make me look bad as I tend to not provide the proper resolution to the problem. I am starting to learn that I must take the time to fully hear the issue and all of the information before I can provide a solution.

Stress will always be a part of my life and therefore I must learn to better deal with it. My feelings diary seems rather silly at times, especially when I am stressed and short for time. But I do feel that in the long run I will be able to better understand myself and therefore continue to develop my emotion intelligence.


For those readers who are interested in developing their emotional intelligence or simply just learning more about it, I recommend visiting the following sites:



I also took this free Emotional Intelligence Quiz which I found beneficial:

No comments:

Post a Comment